Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cathrine Belongs



Chapter 15
Rescues, Squabbles, and Other Such Things

Never had a person been more appreciated or more welcome in my eyes then Rolic was right now with Aunt Prune's lovely sword in his hands his eyes flashing with fire, my captor loosed his hold on me momentarily, I thrust myself forward out of his arms. Behind Rolic I felt braver and I glared at the guard gripping Ariella. "Release her you Stumpy Blackguard!" I ordered Rolic emphasized the command by slashing out at the short guards hands he growled letting her go. 

"You have the upper hand now princess but we'll get you back oh yes we will!" The captain yelled at me retreating quickly.

"Catch them you nit!" Ariella shouted at Rolic. "He knows about Cathrine!"

Rolic whirled round to face her. "What!" Then hurled himself after them with such force I thought he might trip and make a fool of himself. 

He came back to us breathless and distraught but mostly empty handed. "I'm sorry Cathrine." He huffed. "They had to much of a head start and they got to their horses before I could stop them." 

"It's okay." I said quietly. "Thank you for saving me." 

"Pleasure highness." he said as he sat himself on the cold cobbled stoned street. 

"Rolic." 

"Yes." 

"Am I really a Princess?"

He hesitated before answering. "Yes." 

"Oh." 

"Alright!" Ariella said plopping herself down next to him. "Truth time, who are you really and what do you know." 

Rolic started but then composed himself. "Before I say anything why don't you tell Cathrine that tiny little detail you skipped earlier." 

Now it was Ariella turn to start. "A...I don't know what you're talking about." 

"Hmm maybe I'm wrong but if I'm not mistaken your are the daughter of the Master Thief." 

"What!!!" screeched a high pitched voice from the corner we all turned and faced Lissie whom I hadn't noticed until now she held the horses reigns in an iron grip. "I always knew she was trouble." 

Ariella glared at Lissie. "Yes I am the daughter of the Master Thief but that doesn't mean that I'm a thief." 

I patted her shoulder. "Of course it doesn't, but why didn't you tell me this earlier." 

She breathed a sigh of sadness. "I thought you would loose all trust in me those people in Perlusha aren't my real parents they just took care of me but I loved them like parents I barely ever saw my father and my mother, she died when I was born." 

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"It's okay." She perked right up and turned towards Rolic again. "Awe now that she knows all about me it's time for you to spill!" She grinned mischievously.  "Don't think I'd forgotten." 

"I...I still can't tell you, it's not time yet." 

"Oh, really." Ariella snorted sarcastically. "Okay then little missy!" She turned to Lissie. "You have a part in this somewhere tell us about Rolic here."

Lissie flushed as Rolic shook his head and mouthed the words "Nooooo" I giggled in spite of myself and they all turned to me. "What's so funny?" Rolic Ventured to ask.

"I just realized what a comical scene this is." I started laughing again and soon we we all laughing together even the tight Lissie who had always seemed above that before. When we were all done I turned to Rolic and asked. "So when the time comes you will tell us everything won't you." 

"Not everything." Rolic said mysteriously. "There's a time for everything but I promise when those times come I will tell you."

"I'll hold you to that." Ariella said fixing her dark eyes on him.

I nodded absently and gazed over our little group and realized with a tinge of surprise and pleasure that they we where somewhat like family now and for the first time in centuries I actually felt like I belonged. I indulged in the feeling, it was wonderful.





No comments:

Post a Comment