Thursday, January 6, 2011

A great poet with a story

Dear Readers,  today's post is on poet named Phillis Wheatley
 she was the second American Woman to publish a book of poems
and the first well known black American poet she was
kidnapped when she was eight and was sold to a man named
John Wheatley she became a servant to his wife Mrs Weatley
it took her six months to learn to speek english and wrote her first
poem when she was thirteen Mr and Mrs Wheatley encouraged her to
pursue in this and later was taken to England with Mr Weatley there her first poem book was published it was called poems on various subjects religious and moral here is one of her poems from that book.


On Virtue 

O, thou bright jewel, in my aim I strive
To comprehend thee ; thine own words declare
Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach,
I cease to wonder, and no more attempt
Thine height t' explore, or fathom thy profound
But, O my soul, sink not into despair,
Virtue is near thee, and with gentle hand
Would now embrace thee, hovers o'er thy head.
Fain would the heaven-born soul with her converse,
Then seek, then court her for her promised bliss.
Auspicious queen, thine heav'nly pinions spread,
And lead celestial Chastity along;
Lo! how her sacred retinue descends,
Arrayed in glory from the orbs above.
Attend me, Virtue, thro' my youthful years!
O, leave me not to the false joys of time!
But guide my steps to endless life and bliss.
Greatness, or Goodness, say what I shall call thee,
To give a higher appelation still,
Teach me a better strain, a nobler lay.

Stay tuned for more poems by Phillis Weatley 
Goodbye for now 
Poem Girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment